Houston Nursing Home Negligence Lawyer | Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer in Houston, Texas | Houston Nursing Home Malpractice Attorney
The Texas Department of Family and Protective Services provides a website for reporting suspicions of abuse, neglect, and exploitation of children, adults with disabilities, or people who are elderly (65 years or older). You can report elder abuse either anonymously or not anonymously. The Texas Elder Abuse Website is not for emergencies and if you have an emergency, you should call 911. An emergency is defined as:
- A situation where a child, adult with disabilities, or person who is elderly faces an immediate risk of abuse or neglect that could result in death or serious harm.
"All We Wanted to Do was to Take Care of Our Parents The Way They Took Care of Us......Look What They Did!"
You trusted them. You visited first to make sure it was safe. You Made all the right moves to take care of someone who no longer could take care of themselves. When you realize that your loved one has been subjected to poor care or, worse yet, physical abuse, you must act on their behalf. If you do not act, it can happen to another and another and another....
Houston Nursing Home Malpractice Lawyer
Families that care for their parents by placing them into the hands of nursing homes expect them to be treated with the dignity they deserve. Unfortunately, when the family is not around, sometimes the elderly are either mistreated or neglected. Obviously, when bed sores, otherwise known as decubitus bed sores, develop, the mal-treatment and negligence is readily apparent. But, nursing home malpractice is sometimes not so easily provable. Relying upon the history of an elderly parent that has dementia, pre-dementia or Alzheimer’s disease can also be frustrating. Hiring a skilled Houston nursing home abuse negligence lawyer is who you should turn to when you think a loved one has been mistreated.
Just a short list of Houston nursing homes is listed below:
Legend Oaks Healthcare
15880 Wallisville Road
Houston, TX 77049
The Forum at Memorial Woods
777 North Post Oak Road
Houston, TX 77024
Vosswood Nursing Center
815 South Voss Road
Houston, TX 77057
Heartland Health Care Center
2939 Woodland Park Drive
Houston, TX 77082
7400 Clarewood Drive
Houston, TX 77036
4141 South Braeswood Boulevard
Houston, TX 77025
Most nursing homes try their best to hire loving, caring and patient employees but sometimes they drop the ball in the hiring process and a bad actor gets on the staff abuse can occur. When this happens, the company and the employee can be held liable.
Nursing home abuse and/or nursing home neglect can take many forms. Common examples of nursing home abuse that can occur in Houston are:
- Failure to provide proper nutrition and proper hydration;
- Failure to assist in personal hygiene when needed;
- Over-medication or under-medication;
- Failure to take reasonable precautions to prevent falls;
- Failure to answer call lights in a timely fashion;
- Failure to turn residents in their beds (leading to pressure decubitus sores);
- Failure to take residents out of their bed to the toilet therby leaving them in soiled garments or beds;
- Hitting, slapping or other physical abuse of the nursing home resident;
- Use of chemical or physical restraints;
- Emotional or verbal abuse of the nursing home patient;
- Retaliation for making a complaint or filing a grievance;
- Failure to take adequate precautions to prevent injury to the nursing home resident;
- Failure to provide for appropriate medical care;
- Sexual assault or rape of the resident;
- Theft of the nursing home resident's money or other personal property
Houston & Texas Elder Abuse Resources
- Houston & Harris County Field Offices of Adult Protective Services, 1425 East 40th Street, Houston, TX 77022, (800) 252-5400;
- The Texas Department on Aging Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program helps long-term care facility residents and their families to resolve problems and differences. Ombudsmen identify, investigate, and resolve complaints made by or on behalf of residents. Their toll-free number is (800) 252-2412;
- The Texas Department of Human Services regulates, licenses, and certifies nursing homes for Medicaid and Medicare. The TDHS also investigates abuse, exploitation and neglect in nursing facilities. Their toll-free hotline is (800) 458-9858.
- The Texas Attorney General investigates criminal matters in Texas. The toll free number is (800) 621-0508. If one suspects criminal abuse or neglect, one may also notify their local law enforcement agencies.
- Texas Department of Protective and Regulatory Services, Adult Protective Services: (800) 252-5400;
- Nursing Home Credentialing Department, Texas Department of Human Services: (512) 231-5215;
- Texas Attorney General's Medicaid Fraud Control Unit: (800) 252-8011; and
- Veterans Administration: (800) 827-1000